Friday, January 8, 2021

First Look At Catcall The Complete Collection © Goriest Production


    The Canadian Splatter King, Patrick Fortin, the mad genius behind Goriest Production, sent me his latest project that he is currently working on. Catcall. All 5 Catcall shorts have been joined in one massive and gory collection. While this is currently being worked on and not finished I cant give a real release date. I can however direct you to the Goriest Production Facebook page. There you can contact them and find everything Goriest Production has to offer. 

    Catcall is a series of short gore flicks made by Patrick Fortin. They range from 7 to 11 minutes roughly. The first installment won The Gore Addict award at the 2020 Hardcore Horror Fest. Goriest Production certainly lives up to it's name with these shorts. If I had to give the simplest explanation of what the Catcall shorts are, it would certainly be 'gory and over the top'. This newest project puts all 5 Catcall shorts into one wet and oddly empowering experience. And yes, this is something you experience, not just simply watch. The shorts are in French and my advance has no subtitles so this will be for most, like it was for me, a visual journey. Also with that being said a lot of story I am forced to just assume or speculate to. However I get the feeling that the story is not the important part of these shorts. These are a gorehound's treasure trove of messy delights. The Catcall shorts are notorious for their gore effects. They are extremely well done for the most part. There are, like in all indie films, several slips ups throughout such as visible blood tubes, actors laughing, nonsensical cuts. Nothing that ruined the viewing at all mind you, its just little things that need worked on in the future.

    The story as it were, is one we don't often see. A female lead that takes charge. I cant really say the lead is a villain. Its sort of like I Spit On Your Grave. However no man ever gets so far as to actually rape our lead. She is simply sick of being viewed as a piece of meat. Sick to death of it actually. So when dudes start coming on to her, she simply fucking ERADICATES them. I mean it, She pulls out intenstines, gouges eyes, rips guys to literal pieces with a hook, tears flesh off of heads, burns body parts. This woman is clearly done being hit on. I really like this story line. I found myself rooting for her more so for taking action than just so I can see people ripped apart. The effects are going to be what keeps most of us glued to the screen. They are simply sickeningly beautiful. Really every shot is beautiful. Patrick really has an artistic eye behind the camera. He chooses angles and locations that absolutely work and are very pleasing to view. With the unseen footage, its really more of the same. Blood, guts, more blood and random yoga poses. Really the only true complaint I have about this is the green blood that is used around, I believe, the 3rd Catcall segment. It really takes me out of the mayhem to see one person pouring green blood for no discernable reason. Looks great, however why such a drastic change? Also the newest addition to the saga has our lead retreating from someone. Why? She has had zero god damn fear up until that point, but maybe it is meant to be a prequal of sorts? The language barrier keeps me from knowing for sure why she runs, so that might be a mute point.

    The editing  is great. Patrick has put this together wonderfully. If I didn't know this was a collection, I would have simply thought this was always intended to be released as a full feature. It is certainly strong enough in every aspect to be just that. It has a solid story, even though if it was flushed out more I think it would be much stronger. Great effects. The sound is wonderful as is the score. This is a very well done project that Patrick is working on. If you are a gorehound this is a release that you for sure are going to want to grab when it becomes available. 

    Overall this is going to be a really well put together collection. This is certainly something fans of the series of shorts or fans of the scene are going to enjoy fucking thoroughly. Get pumped for this one folks. A brutal fucking bloody tale of female empowerment all lovingly put together in one complete release. Now while this particular release is not yet ready, there are more releases from this label so make sure to keep an eye out for more details on this and all the other products that Goriest Production have to offer. Trust me. I'm Some Guy.





2 comments: